Introduced around 1700, Mitre caps were a development of the earlier stocking caps worn by grenadiers because of the difficulties involved in slinging muskets with wide brimed tricorn hats.
Made from the best woolen cloth, with linen lining. This is carefully hand embroidered in naturally dyed worsted yarn, with all the correct lining and internal stiffening of the originals.
The front panel is stiffened with a strawboard insert. The rear red patch with cane strips covered with linen tape. Fully lined inside with linen and finished with a worsted tuft on the top.
Each regiment has their of distinctive colour facing and style of GR embroidery. The patterns were first formally established in 1743, and continued in use untill the cap was finally superceeded in 1768
Each hat can be made to the colours and patterns of the indiviadual regiments.